Saturday, July 24, 2010

Family Frisbee Lesson - Part 2

(Continued from July 17, 2010) ..... Well, after watching the two of them, the dad being older than my age and the daughter being older than my kids, I suggested to my 2 lads (16 and 19) and my 1 lass (22) that we should get a Frisbee and toss it around. I was quickly showered with a barrage of words like "lame", "silly", "not a chance", etc. No matter how hard I tried, I was met with a complete lack of willingness to try!

So, I did the only thing that a responsible dad would do at a time like that .... I went out that night and bought a Frisbee! The next day, after we set our chairs, water, and fruit down, I suggested that we play with the Frisbee. Again, "no way" was the message that I received. But, I did not give up! I finally asked my daughter if she would toss the Frisbee with me for 5 minutes just to please me. Much to my surprise, she agreed to do so (I think that she realized that I would keep bugging her all day until she relented!).

So, we moved closer to the water away from people, so that we would not hit anybody! We started with a few gentle tosses from close range and we expanded our distance, speed, and trajectories. Before long, we were like we used to be, 5-year-old daughter and her dad just enjoying time together.

My 2 boys remained in safe zones up higher on the beach. Well, much to my delight, and as I somewhat expected, my oldest son yelled to ask if he could join the fray. YES, it was working - 2 down and 1 to go! It was like both kids were suddenly much younger, not a care in the world, having fun with each other and with dad!

Well, I'm sure that you know what happened next ... yes, my youngest son joined in the fun with the Frisbee! Before long we were playing four-corner Frisbee trying to set family records for consecutive catches! We changed positions, we changed wind direction, and we changed speeds and trajectories. YES, life with these three whippersnappers was just as fun as when they were little and it was happening at the old vacation abode!

At some point, somebody asked the time. Much to the surprise of all of us, we discovered that FOUR HOURS had passed!! It seemed like minutes, but, with the capturing of their youth at our old vacation spot, several hours of Frisbee had transpired before anybody even thought of checking the time!

(Please come back next week for Part 3)



Paul W. Reeves

No comments: